Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Jordan's Manifest Destiny

Today I randomly remembered a running joke that my American Indian friend, Jordan, had with our group of friends growing up. Whenever Jordan would want something (i.e. I was holding a can of Coke or a DVD that he was looking at) he would snatch it out of our hands and scream, "MANIFEST DESTINY, BITCH" and then run away laughing. We all thought it was hilarious, but a part of me thinks he was doing it for a reason. Like he wanted to subtly remind us what happened to his ancestors. It could also be Jordan using humor as a way to make light of the past. I may or may not be thinking too much into it, but I don't think he would purposely quote our own Western terminology back at us. Come to think of it, I kind of find it offensive now seeing that he turned around the situation on someone (me and my friends) who had nothing to do with manifest destiny to begin with. But knowing Jordan he was probably just making the joke for joke's sake because he wanted to fit in with his new friends any way possible even if it meant making a joke at his dispense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment