Thursday, January 26, 2012

"I am not the Land-O-Lakes girl."

For the first time this morning, I was actually awake enough to look at the bottle of creamer as I was pouring some into my coffee (on normal days I use my sense of touch to get the coffee task completed because my eyes don't quite work until i'm half a pot in). Low and behold this was what I found:


Can't quite see what I'm referring to? Here, i'll make the image larger:

It may just be me, but I somehow feel that this is wrong on so many subtle levels. Maybe it's because they're depicting an entirely stereotyped image of an Indian woman holding their product, who probably has no actual affiliation with the product whatsoever. (This butter is also made in Minnesota and the last time I checked is vastly far from the Plains Indian tribes) Or maybe it's because the woman depicted appears to be submerged in nature and by association making the butter appear environmentally friendly? So I did some research and found the original depiction of the Land-O-Lakes Butter Maiden:


She almost looks Caucasian in this picture doesn't she? Like they just took the girl next door and dressed her up in "traditional indian clothes" which we all know now are completely stereotyped from the Westerns. I couldn't really find anything on how people responded to this logo, but I found a few interesting tidbits of information. The first, halfway through the page here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_O'Lakes, mentions that they purposefully re-did the Butter Maiden to look more modernized. This "earthly friendly" butter was also accused of animal abuse to their cows. This, I think, is what made me the most upset... the fact that they're just using the imagery of these people to make their product seem better than it really is. Also, I did find the top five most politically incorrect food icons. And surprise, surprise look who made #1 http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2011/07/top_5_politically_incorrect_fo.php

Lets just say I am going to the store and buying the fancy Laura Lynn brand of creamer next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment