Thursday, March 15, 2012

Reflection on Classroom Learning

Today in class we were assigned to reflect on what we've learned thus far, as well as how we learned it. I sat in my chair for a good five minutes not knowing what to write about because I couldn't choose just one topic! So I started writing about the main "theme" that I've been chewing on for the past few weeks ever since we watched "Business of Fancy Dancing."


Here's what I wrote in my journal:

To begin, I think I've not only reflected on the struggle for identity amongst modern/contemporary American Indians, but the identity struggles for every human. No matter what culture, there are social pressures that drive a person to be shaped a certain way. But the interesting thing for me is the reactions of the community when people choose an identity that's different than their collective, "homogenous" identity. It's as if they are witnessing some of betrayal on the part of the "deviant." In reality, there are no rules or laws that say you have to be a certain way. The need for people to create an particular, concise identity or to cling to the mass' identity is just fascinating.


I know I've already blogged about this once, but I just can't get identity off my mind. I was in my French class and we were talking about something (sadly I forget) but the topic came up and I whispered to my friend, "I think identity should be fluid" and she laughed an quickly imitated my words while pretending to be hippie-like... adding "yeahs" and a few "that's heavy, man"s. I laughed, but I also realized that how a lot of people understand identity... ridged. unchanging... like you have to declare what you believe and then stick to it. I don't think that's the case. I think people grow, change, evolve, develop into new people every day. Who's to say that I can't like both UNC and Duke. Who's to say that a former country music-lover like myself could ever learn to love it? One of my favorite lines from Whitman's, "Song of Myself" reads:

"Do I contradict myself? 
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.) 


(My eerie-looking pal, Whitman.)


It's so harmful to relationships to hold people in strict boxes that not allow them to be who they choose to be. On the other hand, there is something beautiful about a close-knit community of people, a culture that celebrates their history and traditions. I struggle with this a lot. I don't know how people are to be individuals within a larger community. What freedoms are they going to sacrifice in order to submit to the larger body of people? Should they have to? Or if they don't will the very foundation of that community crumble? I don't think these questions have answer. No doubtably it changes and varies from every group of people. One solution for this group may not work for the other, and visa versa.

Like I said in class, this topic comes with a multitude of layers and variations. Nonetheless, I have found a lot of growth in my own understanding of identity and I think a continual reminder of this topic will reap huge benefits whenever I interact with someone different than myself- or even with my own close friends who suddenly decide to like rap music....

No comments:

Post a Comment